Extreme Weather Chase Team Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is for everyone! Discuss everything weather. Register and log-in to see more!

Team Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Radar  Chaser Links  ExWx PortalExWx Portal  RegisterRegister    Log in  

My good friend in Michigan, if it wasnt for me.....

Go down 
AuthorMessage

My good friend in Michigan, if it wasnt for me..... Empty
PostSubject: My good friend in Michigan, if it wasnt for me.....   My good friend in Michigan, if it wasnt for me..... EmptySun 6 Jun 2010 - 3:01

I cant stress enough how important it is to have some sorta radio around your house.

Just now a very good friend of mine I had to call her up and ask her if she knew what was happening in her area. She lives in michigan. They just had severe weather roll through. When I called her up she was nearly asleep, I told her she was under a tornado warning and where it was. I said your going to want to get up and watch this, then I told her where the rotation mostly was. She got scared and said OMG my sister lives there and said she had to go. Well not even 5 minutes later I call back to see how she was doing.
She says not good were taking shelter now, ITS HERE NOW. I got told id get a call back. Of course its over with, shes been txting me about the rush it was.

My thinking is, would she had done anything at all or known anything if it wasnt for me calling her and telling her myself? Or would of it literally been a last second thing. Ugh. I guess Ill be buying her a weather radio and programing it for her.
Back to top Go down

My good friend in Michigan, if it wasnt for me..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My good friend in Michigan, if it wasnt for me.....   My good friend in Michigan, if it wasnt for me..... EmptySun 6 Jun 2010 - 4:27

I saved their lives with a phone call...

I just got done talking to her again. Her name is Becky from Monroe Michigan. Her sister lives in Dundee Michigan. Needless to say they got hit hard. Dundee possibly got some where hit with a tornado if not direct.

Her x fience also got hit possibly. Farm sheds, 50-100 feet tall trees broken in half blocking off the road. Emergency workers looking for down power lines, power is still going in and out.

Basically it went down like this.. I called her up, and told her to get up because shes gonna need to pay attention. Her response was, its serious isnt it, I said yes, your under a tornado warning. Again I told her where it was currently at and she said OMG thats my sister. She had told me after my call that she went to her dad who was watching tv. Her mom was in bed as well.

The bad part about any of this was when I heard her say, they werent doing anything on tv, no breakins, no nothing. Right then and there it kicked in that I was literally her ONLY WARNING. How can that have possibly of been, me and only me. Wheres the radio, wheres the tv broadcasting this LIVE telling people to take shelter. JUST WHERE WAS IT. She had one call other than me saying it was coming.

She told her dad that two people said it was coming and he said how do you know. She explained a little and without question told her dad we have to do this now and fast. Without a second hesitation he turned off the tv and went with her, got her mom. They grabbed their wallet, purses, flash light and phone charges. Next thing they grabbed 12 dogs and tried getting them in the basement which wasnt easy. They live on a farm and raise dogs and etc.

While all this was going on the power kept going on and off at least 3 times or more, she told me if the power is gonna go off, stay off. By this time the wind outside was pounding, the rain was shredding at the house with a beating. Everything you would think of in a bad situation happened.

Well anyways overall she called back, we had a serious talk. I said, Becky can I ask you a question. She said sure/yes, I said in all seriousness. If I would have called you and told you about it. What would of happened? Her response with silence... I really dont honestly know, yes we would have done something but it may have been to late. At this time I started getting frustrated and sorta emotional. I started to tear up a little bit and you could tell over the phone I was sorta crying.

She asked if I was okay, I said no. Whats wrong? I said Becky, God knows I love you and im always gonna do my best to be there for you when severe weather is around, god knows I will be. But theres gonna be that once In a life time thing where Im NOT gonna be calling you and telling you if you know whats going on. I then said, I cant loose you because you werent warned of something like this. Tonight was an example of how close you came to possibly loosing everything including your life.

Right then and their I started crying and she said dont do this, dont be like this. I sorta yelled and said im very serious. You cant just reli on me calling you and telling you. You HAVE TO buy a weather radio, it WILL save your life. I told her I just bought me a new one. She finally asked well what does it all do, does it have to be on all the time, how will I know?

Okay well I explained all that to her and said if you dont buy one, ill buy one for you and program it myself and mail it off so you have one. Needless to say shes gonna be one now, finally, after yrs of me telling her this shes gonna do it. We both cried a little bit and calmed down.

This just goes to show how the media plays its effects in weather, whether it be tv, a radio or even a person. But to tell me all this was going on and NO tv station was covering it. Now thats rediculous, its sickaning and pathetic. She asked me if I was worried and I said im always going to be worried about you, we laughed and calmed down.

Just before I came on here and said all this I sent her a txt and said. I cant help but think that I basically saved your families life tonight. Her reply was yes you did, and I cant thank you enough for that at all........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0217 AM TORNADO DUNDEE 41.96N 83.66W
06/06/2010 MONROE MI LAW ENFORCEMENT

POSSIBLE TORNADO. EMERGENCY OFFICIALS REPORT DAMAGE TO
HOUSES AND TREES. TRUCKS BLOWN OVER ON US23. DAMAGE TO
CABELAS.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two Confirmed Tornadoes

...CONFIRMED TORNADO IN DUNDEE IN MONROE COUNTY...
...CONFIRMED TORNADO NEAR ROME CENTER IN LENAWEE COUNTY...
A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS CONFIRMED THAT A
TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN AT 211 AM AT COUNTY LINE ROAD AND RANKIN ROAD
IN MONROE COUNTY. THIS TORNADO THEN TRACKED EAST SOUTHEAST...MOVING
THROUGH DUNDEE AT 217 AM. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 130 TO 135 MPH
WHERE ESTIMATED JUST WEST OF DUNDEE...WHICH IS CLASSIFIED AT A HIGH
END EF2. THE WIDTH OF THE TORNADO AT THAT TIME WAS 800 YARDS. AS IT
PASSED THROUGH DUNDEE...THE TORNADO WAS STILL CLASSIFIED A LOW END
EF2 WITH MAXIMUM WINDS OF 115 MPH. THE TORNADO THEN TRACKED ANOTHER
7 MILES ALONG HIGHWAY 50 BEFORE LIFTING AT 227 AM AT THE DIXON ROAD
INTERSECTION...CAUSING GENERALLY EF0 DAMAGE TO THE EAST OF DUNDEE.
THE TOTAL PATH OF THIS TORNADO REACHED 13.5 MILES.

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY TEAM ALSO CONFIRMED THAT A
TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN AT 148 AM AT SOUTHARD HIGHWAY AND WOERNER ROAD
IN LENAWEE COUNTY. THE TORNADO THEN TRACKED 2.5 MILES EAST SOUTHEAST
TO SPRINGVILLE HIGHWAY BEFORE LIFTING AT 152 AM. THE PATH WIDTH WAS
250 YARDS WITH MAXIMUM WINDS OF 90 MPH AS IT CROSSED US 223...WHICH
IS CLASSIFIED AT AN EF1. SEVERAL BUILDINGS WERE DESTROYED AND
NUMEROUS TREES WERE DOWNED BY THIS TORNADO.

THE SURVEY TEAM WILL CONTINUE INTO EASTERN PARTS OF MONROE COUNTY
WHERE SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE HAS BEEN REPORTED IN THE MONROE AND NEWPORT
AREAS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE LATER TODAY.
Back to top Go down

My good friend in Michigan, if it wasnt for me.....
Page 1 of 1