Extreme Weather Chase Team Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is for everyone! Discuss everything weather. Register and log-in to see more!

Team Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Radar  Chaser Links  ExWx PortalExWx Portal  RegisterRegister    Log in  

Going back to light bar

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NW-SKYWARN
EF-1 Tornado
EF-1 Tornado
NW-SKYWARN

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-08-01

Going back to light bar Empty
PostSubject: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySat 10 Oct 2009 - 3:48

Well, here we go over the years I have used many types of warning lighting, anything from strobes, L E Ds, and halogen lighting. Now, don't get me wrong LED technology can be pretty useful. I can only find two benefits for this

1. LEDs can be very bright, and scene for many miles. But, it has is down sides such as were you point the LED is the direction the beam of light is gonna go towards.

2. Also,LEDs have a very low power draw compared to halogen and light bars. But, they do not have the 360°warning power that a halogen light bar has.

Now why am I going back to a light bar? Well one of the main reasons why a I am going back to a light bar, is because of the multiple warning power that is contained in one area. For example, the light bar I will be getting has two stages of warning lightiing. It will have five main rotators on the top amber of course. Takedowns to the front, alley lights to either side. The lower deck of the light bar will have amber warning flashers on the front end to the rear.

I mean sure, full size light bars can look tacky on top of the vehicle" especially mine'. And yes, they do use a lot of power to operate. But if you're smart you will only use certain parts of the light bar as needed. For example, let's say our team is filming a lightning during a chase and its dark. I will insert my vehicle at the rear of the convoy. While there, I will only have the rear flashers operating to warn other on coming motorist.

Now the alleys and takedowns will come in use if we drive into an area that has been severely hit by a storm. These particular lights will illuminate over a 180°area. These lights will be only used while off road or in a emergency situation. Now the overhead rotators will only be used as needed. At no time should all the lights on the light bar be operating at the same time. This is where we will run into problems such as a large draw on the battery, thus decreasing the life of the battery in my vehicle.

Also before in this, all of the wiring for the light bar will be all on one cable, this will make it easy to install in almost any vehicle. I do understand that a light bar can decrease the gas mileage on a vehicle it is installed on. But, I am willing to risk a few MPG for the benefits a light bar will give me.

So now it's in your court, tell me what you think and what I should go with?
Back to top Go down
http://airforcecowboyc_17@yahoo.com
MIDSCAR1
EF-1 Tornado
EF-1 Tornado

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySat 10 Oct 2009 - 10:14

Well as you may know, I have a 5 rotator lightbar on my vehicle (Code3 MX7000) and i LOVE it. Only difference between yours is mine does NOT have flashers, but instead an arrowstick on the back. And it has intersection lights (white). I don't think I would ever go to a LED lightbar. Especially amber, they can't be seen well in sunlight.

I will warn you though, you may run into some issues with law enforcement. While i've never had a problem till recently when I was chasing in Missouri, just be careful. The issue the cop had with me in Missouri when he pulled me over was too many people were pulling over. You think people would see the AMBER right? I guess not...and it got me in trouble. Didn't get a ticket or anything at least
Back to top Go down
http://www.midscar.com
Marc
Administrator
Administrator
Marc

Number of posts : 925
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySat 10 Oct 2009 - 13:52

Word to the wise Warning lights on ONLY WHEN STOPPED. Something I practice and will stop any confusion as to what are role is. Where that may be different is when crossing or traveling on dirt roads.
Back to top Go down
http://sdstormchase.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySat 10 Oct 2009 - 18:40

True That Marc, NEVER EVER Drive with your lights on. Only when parked off the road or going down dirt roads. I use it on the dirt roads cause i have to warn the bugs and frog's that I'm coming!! LMAO!!! Going back to light bar Fresse
Back to top Go down
Marc
Administrator
Administrator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySat 10 Oct 2009 - 19:28

I've used them on the dirt roads so I can be followed by other team members through the clouds of dirt. Going back to light bar Icon_biggrin Never felt the need for warning for the front because if my bumper up your ass isn't indication of being in my way ambers wouldn't do it either.
Back to top Go down
MIDSCAR1
EF-1 Tornado
EF-1 Tornado

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySat 10 Oct 2009 - 20:13

While driving down the road for now on i'll just have my arrowstick on flash. When stopped the lightbar itself will be turned on. Hopefully that would avoid confusion. I'll only have the lightbar on full time when driving down the road if we're in the heaviest rain
Back to top Go down
http://www.midscar.com
NW-SKYWARN
EF-1 Tornado
EF-1 Tornado
NW-SKYWARN

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySun 11 Oct 2009 - 2:53

OK, I'm going to try the answer to last two comments. First off, most of the time lightiing to the front is not necessary. But, there will be times for some ungodly reason that we're gonna need lightiing to the front. As specially for some jack ass. We'll come flying down the road our direction, that way we be able to protect ourselves in that manner.

Now for the second part, if you were on a paved road and you were mobile, you should never, ever, ever have your lights on. This is just asking for a ticket. I personally is getting tired of listening to the negative remarks a bout storm chasers and spotters using their lights in a irresponsible manner. Now MIDSCAR1, my advice to you from one professional to another, is two only use those lights while safely pulled over on the side of the road. This will make you and other chasers look good ports of public and other chasers in the area.

We're not going to chew you out, but we are going to help you. In time after I get my light bar I will make a video on how to use your lightiing in a responsible manner. I will be showing different examples on some less populated highways. That way other chasers can see that my video, and just maybe, maybe the views towards storm chasers might become more of a positive influence.
Back to top Go down
USN DevilDolphin
USN DevilDolphin

Number of posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySun 11 Oct 2009 - 12:25

HAHAHA!!! I got ya all beat! I get blue, and I CAN use them when driving! LOL. Just playin. Actually, once I return to Indiana, and switch from an associate member back to an active member of my volunteer fire department, I will be required to go to blue. It has its pros and cons.....The pros are, well, its blue, so most people will pull out of your way and let you have the right of way (not a requirement, but a courtesy). The con however is that is pretty much sticks me to chasing in Indiana only due to the blue being illegal in other states. I really dont mind though, as Indiana is my stomping grounds, and I know quite a bit of the area well. Plus, although its not the flat plains, I kind of enjoy the challenge of chasing in a hilly or wooded area. Its a little more dangerous, but adds to the excitement for me, but thats why I also keep as many resources as I can with me (laptop with wireless internet, radar, and GPS mapping, and when I can find a poor sucker, a spotter in the passenger seat). As for the lights, I have a completely new set up from what I was running before as I have used my time in the navy to save up so that I can change from halogen to 100% LED. (used to have a fully loaded MX7000 minus the arrow stick because I had one in the rear window, along with strobe and halogen flashers in the windshield) Now that I have a new Whelen Liberty LFL LED lightbar, and 12 Tomar Rect13 (brand new product from Tomar) flush mount led pods. The good thing is that everything is completely clear when off, so if I were to quickly venture into another state, the law enforcement wont know what color I have unless they pull me over to screw with me. As for being in Indiana, TECHNICALLY, by law, a volly can use his blue lights to respond to an emergency, and I would consider a tornado ripping a town apart an emergency, but I would never abuse the blue lights by running 20 miles down a highway just go get to where its happening faster. However, if I were coming into a small town, doing a chase, I have no problem using them to get around. Just my $.02.
Back to top Go down
USN DevilDolphin
USN DevilDolphin

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySun 11 Oct 2009 - 12:30

Going back to light bar Lol LOL, excuse my typos in that last post. My hospital "happy meds" from surgery last week seem to give my fingers a mind of their own! Either that or my keyboard has a mind of its own.....I dont know which, but I assure you, it wasn't user error.....Nope, no user error...not at all.....What??? You dont believe me??? I swear!
Back to top Go down
NW-SKYWARN
EF-1 Tornado
EF-1 Tornado
NW-SKYWARN

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySun 11 Oct 2009 - 15:43

Hey Brian,

Do you still have your MX7000? Can i buy it from you, and yes I will change the colors on the domes...
Back to top Go down
USN DevilDolphin
USN DevilDolphin

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySun 11 Oct 2009 - 19:11

My MX7000 is buried somewhere in my storage garage back in Indiana otherwise I would trade you outright for those lights in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down
USN DevilDolphin
USN DevilDolphin

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySun 11 Oct 2009 - 19:19

I just took a quick look on ebay and there are several Code 3 MX7000 lightbars going for right at $100. Most of them were clear with yellowing lenses from years in the sun, but it would not matter, and you are planning to buy amber domes anyways. Also, there is another auction on there for 11 MX7000 lightbars going for around $300 and if I had the $300, I would snatch that up in a heartbeat. They are all listed as defective in one way shape or form, but I guarantee you that with 11, you could easily get enough parts to have at least 6 or 7 good working ones, with some extra parts left over! Sell them badboys for about $100 each, and you can make a little money! OK, thats all I have for now, just check ebay. Gonna go check the sofa cushions for $300!
Back to top Go down
Marc
Administrator
Administrator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptySun 11 Oct 2009 - 20:37

I have some stuff that will restore the yellowing lenses if you get a set.
Back to top Go down
joe_2mill
Team Administrator
Team Administrator
joe_2mill

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptyWed 2 Dec 2009 - 17:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqzNNu__Ts

here's my truck's lights, I have a blue light permit since I'm on the FD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.drylinechasing.blogspot.com
USN DevilDolphin
USN DevilDolphin

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptyThu 3 Dec 2009 - 1:42

Hey joe_2mill, I will have to share my pics with you sometime (inside and out). I had a 98 Ranger Supercab fully (and I mean FULLY) decked out. (NW-Skywarn can vouch for that) Might give you some ideas on what you can do with yours if you ever wanted to.
Back to top Go down
NW-SKYWARN
EF-1 Tornado
EF-1 Tornado
NW-SKYWARN

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar EmptyThu 3 Dec 2009 - 16:12

dang it im still debaiting on a light bar or not.. now im afriad it might catch some unwanted attention. so back to the LEDs i go. speedtech lights has there box lights for 45 dollars now, and im looking for amber strobes to go in the backuplights and front corner lights.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going back to light bar   Going back to light bar Empty

Back to top Go down

Going back to light bar
Page 1 of 1